Today one of the moderators of one of the biggest steam groups Original_Giveaway_Group (200k people) got his account hacked, and the account started spamming scam links in that group, multiple fast announcements, the other moderators deleted the announcements, but a lot of people clicked the links, this has happened twice today! There were multiple links, all links looked like good websites, all were phishing scams.
Phishing scam is a scam that involves a website/app that looks legit but it is not, the idea is to trick You to type in Your username, password and steam guard (and doing this you will give them your account) , This time, the scam website opens a steam login page in a popup (fake popup) check the screenshots below, to learn more about this, check the comments
How to avoid a phishing scam on Steam?
– If any website asks you to “sign in with steam” and asks for your steam username and password, do not login! Close that website
– Go to the steams official website, login there, and then go back to the site that asked you to sign in with steam
– Now that website will not ask you for your steam username and password, it will just show your username. legit example screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/vP2X9Nz.jpg
– If that site asks for your username and password again, even after you went to the real steams website and logged in there, its a scam. Scam example screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/BES5YfC.jpg
– Note: the website login doesnt need to be in a popup, if it asks again for your username and password, just quit that website
If you have any tips, please share them in the comments, also check the comments for tips
Scammer Protection Groups Guide – What to do if you got scammed like this